USHUAIA ARGENTINA, FRESH FLY VIDEO PRODUCTION
VIDEO PRODUCTION COMPANY IN USHUAIA, ARGENTINA
CUSTOMER: Fresh Fly
ABOUT: Fresh Fly is a full-service video production company.
THE CHALLENGE: FIND A LOCAL VIDEO PRODUCTION COMPANY IN USHUAIA
Fresh Fly was shooting a documentary called “Hell or High Seas.”
“Over twenty U.S. veterans commit suicide every day. It’s a dark, ironic fact that the transition for military personnel into civilian life can be more deadly than combat itself. “Hell or High Seas” is a feature-length documentary film that aims to spread awareness about this epidemic through the compelling narrative of one veteran’s odyssey while sailing around Cape Horn.”
Fresh Fly needed to shoot their protagonists as they sailed around Cape Horn in the vicinities of Ushuaia, Argentina. We shot the Valdivia part as well – see that case study here.
On this particular video production in Ushuaia Argentina, the client was flying in from the USA. This is in contrast to the Valdivia shoot where Stark Crew provided a full crew. What our client needed was a local company to organize transportation and acquire much-needed film gear locally. They also needed to leverage local know-how to solve any problems that might come up.
So Stark Crew provided Fresh Fly with a local fixer. A fixer in video production is a local expert and video producer who takes care of anything the customer may need. In this case, our fixer sourced all the gear that the customer needed locally, including but not limited to:
- A Sachtler 15SB Tripod
- A Wireless 7” director’s monitor set up – 7” monitor, a cage with handles, a Gold Mount or V-mount battery plate with a D-tap port to power a Teradek receiver, and a hood for the sun
- A rain cover for the director’s monitor
- A way to mount the Teradek receiver – velcro or hardware
- Gold mount or V-mount batteries to run director’s monitor off
- Charger for gold mount or V-mount batteries
- 3’ slider (tripod will determine this as well)
- Hand-held camera rig
- A large pack of microfiber towels for wiping gear down on the boat
- A few camera backpacks to put wireless director’s monitor and batteries in, or anything that keeps the gear mobile
- Roll of 1” black paper tape and 1” black gaff tape
Stark Crew’s expert fixer in Ushuaia, Argentina took care of every issue that needed taking care of. To begin with, we provided Fresh Fly with gear, transportation, and accommodation to make their shooting easy, efficient, and comfortable.
- A full-service production company in Philadelphia needed to shoot part of a documentary in a remote part of Argentina;
- The client was coming with his own production team, but needed a local expert to source gear and take care of other logistics;
- Stark Crew provided a highly-experienced fixer in Ushuaia, Argentina to take care of all of the customer’s logistical challenges;
- Fresh Fly was able to shoot the footage they needed in an efficient and comfortable way;
- Generally, they were very happy with both the experience and the footage